[geeks] Scriptable Video Processing

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Mon Aug 8 09:57:30 CDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 10:29, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> However, the %difference stuff is something you'd have to write actual
> code for (at least I don't know of anything available to do it for
> free).  However, if you are going to get into writing that sort of code,
> some research might produce methods with much better results.

The MPEG encoder itself could tell you some of that, but probably there is no API for getting that info out of it (since it will try to determine when to use I/P/B frames and when not to).

Assuming that you write out each frame to a separate JPEG, you can use ImageMagick's "compare" utility:

http://imagemagick.org/script/compare.php

Experimentation would be required, but with a little practice would probably work well.

--Patrick