[geeks] Scriptable Video Processing

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Aug 8 09:29:57 CDT 2005

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 05:49:18PM -0700, Michael Dombrowski wrote:
>  Currently, I take a couple seconds of
> stable video, dump the frames out, and use every fifth
> or so to create my panoramas. What I would really like
> is a scriptable video processing program that I could
> use to say stuff like dump every 10th frame or where
> >%30 difference from previous frame; whichever happens
> first. Anyone know of any such program?

Well, for a few seconds of video, it shouldn't be a back breaker to
convert the clip to sequential frames (scriptable with mplayer), then
have a shell script extract the frames you want.

However, the %difference stuff is something you'd have to write actual
code for (at least I don't know of anything available to do it for
free).  However, if you are going to get into writing that sort of code,
some research might produce methods with much better results.