[geeks] concerning MS Windows Vista screen shots now available...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Aug 5 14:15:45 CDT 2005

Fri, 29 Jul 2005 @ 08:18 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 said:

> That was when they were fighting command line Unix and CDE, so they
> had to have something usable for admins to feel like their time wasn't
> being wasted.

I still say that Motif was fine.  It needed bug fixing and other things,
but it generally produced usable interfaces.

Look what SGI did with it.

> Give me NeXTSTep on a modern Unix any day.  The X to close was on the
> other side of the window, and menus for each app automatically showed
> and hid themselves.

Yeah... but that's dead.  Apple was supposed to have a lot of that in
OS/X, but doesn't seem to have taken it to heart.

In fact, Apple with OS9 started violating their own rules too much.

> Unless they feel for some reason that this will force lock-in and
> encourage upgrades, as the interface is different enough to have to
> switch between XP and Vista that you would want all your machines on
> one or the other.

Or neither... in my case, I still run Win2K because it works (relative
to other Windows OS anyway) and doesn't phone home like XP does.

You can be sure that Vista will go even further to reduce your privacy
and your control over your own computer.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["If you tell the truth, you don't have to
remember anything" -- Mark Twain]