[geeks] my first electronics project

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Aug 4 13:59:27 CDT 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 00:03:07 -0400
Atom <rescue at port11.net> wrote:

> - Get a nice iron. Weller makes a pretty nice one in the $99 range
> (WES-50). Analog control but solders pretty nice
I don't like Weller. A colleague bougt a mid range Weller soldering
station. It has a 80 W iron but I still was unable to desolder a small
SMD capacitor from a PeeCee main board ground plane. The iron was just
unable to transfer enough heat from the heating element to the tip. The
iron is simply miss designed. Only one bad experience with Weller.

Ersa works much better. But I don't know if they are available on your
side of the pond.

Metcal is the king class of soldering equipment. They have a unique
functional principle that ensures proper operation and exact temperature
even in difficult conditions. Unfortunateley they are expensive, but
ebay me bring you a cheap used one...
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen