[geeks] Why Linux and not *BSD?

kurt at k-huhn.com kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Aug 3 10:24:35 CDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 10:44:24AM -0400, geeks at litfire.com wrote:
> Kurt Huhn said:
> >See!  SEEEE!!!!
> >
> > Those BigIP boxen were magnificent just the way they were.  Next I suppose
> > someone will tell me that the Nokia IP-series boxen will be moving to
> > Linux as well.
>
> One of the benefits $employer sees in the move to Linux is the fact that
> under version 9 (with Linux), the BigIP has JRE 1.4.2, which allows us to
> use "External" monitors to check the health of an application with a Java
> API.  That wasn't about to happen with their hacked up BSDI.

And the *other* marketing buzzword rears it's head.

Don't get me wrong, I know that Linux and Java have their place, but I don't
understand why they're being used in places where a better tool is available.

--
Kurt Huhn          "I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
kurt at k-huhn.com                   -- Adam Savage