[geeks] Powerbook storage options

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Sat Apr 23 14:56:02 CDT 2005

On 20050423 14:29, "velociraptor" <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd think that a local FW HD would be your cheapest/best method
> since you do not have a PCMCIA slot available.
>
> If you really need RAID, though, you can only do mirroring or
> striping on the OS X SW RAID side (dunno if they ever put SW
> RAID 5 into OS X Server or not).  Of course, FW bottlenecks
> sooner than SCSI.

I'm just tired of disks dying on me is all. If I'm going to use IDE disks, I
feel absolutely *compelled* to use some sort of redundancy. Also, it seems
really silly to have a non-redundant backup drive (which is part of the
purpose, you see).

> I think the biggest complaint about OS X's performance for high-
> end video/music is as a direct result of people not realizing the
> IDE/FW disk sub-system is just not as fast as a middle-of-the-
> road SCSI.  They got sold a bill of goods by the marketers on
> that one.

It seems silly to me that the options for storage straight from Apple go
internal drives, firewire drives, and then Fibre-channel arrays. There is no
middle ground from Apple.

Not that any of this applies to me, since I don't have a PCI slot for a
Fibre or third-party SCSI card anyway. Heh.