[geeks] WTB: 16GB RAM dual or quad x86 system

Nathan Raymond nate at portents.com
Fri Apr 22 19:29:38 CDT 2005

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 02:32:11PM -0400, Nathan Raymond wrote:
>> I always thought thought the Thunder K8QS Pro would make a decent server
>> motherboard:
>>
>> http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8qspro.html
>>
>> 32GB max RAM, and with the ability to take four socket 940 CPUs, that
>> means with the new dual-core coming out, you'll be able to have four
>> dual-core CPUs on one motherboard, which isn't too shabby.
>
> The only downside is that in order to see all 32GB you *must* buy 4
> CPUs.  Each CPU, with its integrated memory controller, only controls
> 8GB .  And, you need to buy the more expensive 8xx series CPUs.

Well, the pricing isn't *too* bad all things considered: $533 for an
Opteron 844 (1.8Ghz 1MB L2), the lowest end offering.  Memory is going to
end up being your biggest cost.  For instance, if you wanted to max out
memory to 32GB it would cost you:

$12,288 = (($533 CPU * 4) + ($541 2GB PC2700 * 16) + ($1500 mobo))

Those 2GB sticks of CAS 2.5 DDR333 memory are really expensive, and you
could save a bundle of money by going with a 1GB sticks of CAS 3 DDR400
memory:

  $5,952 = (($533 CPU * 4) + ($145 1GB PC3200 * 16) + ($1500 mobo))

FYI the memory I chose was Transcend brand ECC registered memory with
Samsung chips, which I believe are validated for the Athlon64 platform.

Bottom line is you could have two motherboards with four CPUs each and
16GB of memory each for less than the cost of one motherboard with four
CPUs and 32GB of memory.

- Nate