[geeks] WTB: 16GB RAM dual or quad x86 system

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 13:32:41 CDT 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 06:57:41 -0400, James Fogg wrote:
> > Needed:
> >
> > 16GB RAM system
> > 700Mhz or higher CPUs, dual-xeon or quad xeon disk not
> > important at least one ethernet interface under 12U in size
> > preferred
>
> I thought 32bit systems were limited to 4G ram?

Yes.

But we're talking about servers that can address more than 32-bits worth
of memory or at least the MMU can. Processes are still limited to a
32-bit address space (4GBytes - whatever the os reserves ... 1-2Gbytes)
unless they use paging hacks (PAE) to obtain access to additional
memory. Apparently in practice, PAE is limited to 16Gb.

Still kind of limiting for a server.