[geeks] my head just went explodey

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Apr 7 17:41:28 CDT 2005

Sat, 02 Apr 2005 @ 17:08 -0800, Phil Stracchino said:

> velociraptor wrote:
> > Ach! The SA's I work with, while capable when it comes to the OS,
> > etc., just don't understand why I balk everytime they say "the
> > documentation is a Word file in our public folder".  They are frikking
> > UNIX SA's for chrissakes!  OK, assuage manglement by tossing
> > a plain text document in there--but put up a web repository or
> > *something* on a UNIX server so you don't have to worry about it
> > when the friggin' Exchange servers go belly up.
>
> Yeah, my ex-in-about-48-hours employer keeps almost all the IS&T
> documentation in Exchange public folders too.

Ick.

I've seen so many people use proprietary crap, or even just overly
complicated open systems to store things like documentation, it just
boggles the mind.

When I was at Bank of America, they insisted that we do unit testing and
production test reports in Lotus Notes.  This included using Notes to
store the versions of the programs which were tested, which of course is
bloody stupid for a lot of reasons.

We used PVCS for revision control (near the end of my contract, earlier
I had been using CVS), which is just about the worst steaming mound of
crap I have ever seen.

On top of that, you couldn't tell from Lotus Notes, which PVCS revision
was in the tested version, and sometimes the way they did things meant
that what you had to put in production was different than what you
tested.

It was only mildly sucky when dealing with Perl code... when they used
it on compiled code it was a real mess.

> More, deponent saith not for another 48 hours.

Love to hear it.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["And in billows of might swell the Saxons
before her,-- Unite, oh unite!	Or the billows burst o'er her!" -- Downfall