[geeks] Good humidity for a server room?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Tue Apr 5 10:44:51 CDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 11:28:11AM -0400, Atom wrote:
> I just installed a netbotz last week and keep on getting too low
> humidity alerts. In fact we're at 18% right now.
>
> I noticed a lot of static in the office. Sometimes I take 2 steps and a
> lightning bolt comes out of my hand touching the wall. hehe..
>
> Anyways somebody told me 40-49% would be good. Anybody have any
> experience with that? Mainly I am concerned because the rest of the
> office has that low humidity too.

If it is too dry you have static electricity, which would be bad if
you touched a server for instance.  And this can even build up on
metal parts as air flows past, such as a fan moving air through a
server.

>From a human standpoint, things being too dry can aggravate or cause
allergies and colds.

Cheapest way is probably to get one of those little fountain things
that pump water over little rocks and keep it filled.

--Patrick