[geeks] my head just went explodey

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Apr 3 13:07:15 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, velociraptor wrote:

> Or, why, when the documentation says, "start up jnbSA", I say, "we
> need to document the CLI steps for this".  Just the other night was
> a prime example--I had to do a WebSphere deployment for the dev-
> elopers, and ended up having to switch window managers on my
> desktop box b/c the stupid admin GUI wouldn't work under the one
> I was running.* WTF?  At least with WebLogic you don't have to
> handhold the damned middleware by exploding it's .war files for it,
> and can't point a browser at at admin port.  What a concept!

I feel your pain.  I've been dealing with WebSphere Application Sewer
for over two years now.  Even when you learn all the workarounds and
ways to do it "right", it's still about as much fun as trying to staple
your hand to a griddle.  Oh, and I'm sure you've noticed that it does
NOTHING fast, no matter how much hardware you start on it.

   Me:  Hey, you!  Restart your application server.
   It:  hmm, hmm hmm...
   *time passes*
   It:  hmm, hmm hmm...
   Me:  *gets coffee*
        *returns:
   It:  hmm, hmm hmm...
   *time passes*
   Me:  OH COME ON, WHILE I'M YOUNG!
   It:  hmm, hmm hmm...
   It:  Oops!  You specified $parameter incorrectly.  Please try again!

I hated the "web application" culture long before I ever had to deal
with WAS, but WAS has turned that mere frustration into deep seething
rage.  HOW is all this overblown crapola better than CGIs in Perl again?

--
Jonathan Patschke  )   "Once again, `digital' is proving to be a
Elgin, TX         (     synonym for `crap'."