[geeks] my head just went explodey

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Sun Apr 3 00:52:56 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 00:30 -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Sat, 02 Apr 2005 @ 20:35 -0600, Bill Bradford said:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 09:21:44PM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> > > Thus he is going by "feeeelings" instead of a series of rational
> > > decisions.
> >
> > Or by what he read in last week's issue of InfoWorld.
>
> It's worse than that.
>
> I see a big increase in these sorts of bogus requirements even among
> firms that used to have a reputation for knowing better.
>
> The hiring process in corporate America (and perhaps other nations) is
> almost entirely broken now.
>
> I've been refused (2-3 years ago) a job because I didn't know Solaris 6.
> "Your last Solaris release was 2.6, which is way behind Solaris 6".
>
> That's verbatim, and it came from the head admin.
>
> Nevermind that OS, especially UNIX, doesn't change enough to make being
> behind a few revisions a serious problem.  For that matter, moving from
> one to another is not that big a deal, even if they have major
> differences.
>
> No one seems to understand that we are professionals, and many (most?)
> of us have college degrees, and tackling new things and relearing is
> daily, and routine for us.
>
> Nope, they look for a set of buzzwords, and require exact matches.

It's exactly this sort of crap that drove me -out- of the industry.  All
the micro-management by folks who don't know Jack Schitt, and hiring
filters on only the right buzzwords.  At the moment, I'm in school
getting an engineering degree, in an engineering discipline.  I have
hopes that folks are more clued here that in the computer fields.
	Greg

--
Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc at linuxweasel.com>