[geeks] 2 solaris 10 questions

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Fri Sep 24 04:07:07 CDT 2004

Hi,

I just installed Solaris 10 on an Ultra 5, and have two questions.

1. For Solaris 8 and 9 Sun had(has) a downloadable CD image of GNU tools, etc.
   Is there one for Solaris 10? I know about other software sites, but the
    chance to get it all at once is very appealing. If not, will the Solaris
    9 versions work ok? So far the Sol9 stuff I have tried worked.

2. I installed an IDE CD burner in it. Is there software to burn CDs from
   Solaris using IDE burners? The machine does not have a scsi interface.

   I am used to using mkisofs and cdrecord under Linux on an X86. The Linux
   kernel does something to the scsi record commands to make them work on
   an IDE drive. Is there something similar in Solaris SPARC?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, C.T.O. GW&T Ltd., Jerusalem Israel
gsm at mendelson.com gsm at gwandt.com
IL Voice: 972-544-608-069  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838