[geeks] Special skills draft?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 23 23:04:23 CDT 2004

> From: "Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez" <lefa at ucsc.edu>
> Date: 2004/09/23 Thu PM 10:20:41 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Special skills draft?
>
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:44:34 +0000
>   Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > It is just one of those moronic Michael Moore Moments
> >that he springs on you, proposes a very simplistic
> >premise, and then makes his assertion before you have a
> >chance to think about what is going on...
>
> Personally I thought he was trying to make a point with a
> little bit of humour. I don't think it was meant to be
> taken literally... Basically if the war is so important,
> would you  be willing to send your own kids too? Afterall
> we're supposed to be in this together, right?

The point is, parents don't send their children to battle, their children volunteer.

> Just like he did by reading the patriot act out loud to
> the policy maker circling the capitol in an ice cream
> truck. I thought that was priceless, and at least someone
> had the balls to point out the monstruosity that the
> patriot act really is.

The point of which was what? Draw attention to himself? If that is the case, then he is not pointing out the "monstruosity that the patriot act really is", he is turning it into an excuse to point the camera at himself. No one could have heard the patriot act in it's entirety without chasing the ice cream truck, so it is not about "telling the people" it is about being seen, appearing to "tell the people".