[geeks] Special skills draft?

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Thu Sep 23 14:47:22 CDT 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:31:46 -0400
  Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 11:19:07AM -0700, Francisco
>Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
>>  Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> >Charles Rangel has been puchsing a draft (Democrat
>>>Congressman)
>
>> He proposed a draft so that politicians (whose own kids
>> would also be elligible for military service) would be
>>far
>> more cautious when waging war. It is always easier when
>> somebody else's kids are doing the dying to go gun ho.
>
> Not that politicians and other figures of power and
>influence have ever
> had any trouble getting their own kids somehow exempted
>from the draft
> if they want to.  Cushy jobs, Ivy League colleges,
>assorted
> deferments....

Absolutely, I believe he was just trying to get the point
across. Reinstating the draft during a presidential
campaign is pretty much suicidal IMHO.

Growing up in a country with draft I know everything about
the son of the connected guy who end up doing his service
in a resort town while my sorry ass was sent to be fired
by three different ethnic groups who hated each other, but
who happened to hate us even more.