[geeks] Special skills draft?

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Thu Sep 23 13:19:07 CDT 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:20:10 -0400
  Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> Thu, 23 Sep 2004 @ 09:53 -0500, Mike Parson said:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 10:18:55AM -0400, Michael Horton
>>wrote:
>>  Who said there was going to be any kind of draft?
>
> John Kerry has been pushing a draft (Democrat Senator)

I blieve he proposed something like a national service
program, you serve your country for a couple of years (not
necesarily in the military) and you get a college
education paid for. Some sort of loan where you work for
it. Whether that is called a "draft" is highly debatable.

> Charles Rangel has been puchsing a draft (Democrat >Congressman)

He proposed a draft so that politicians (whose own kids
would also be elligible for military service) would be far
more cautious when waging war. It is always easier when
somebody else's kids are doing the dying to go gun ho.