[geeks] Special skills draft?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 16:29:32 CDT 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:09:01 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo
<patrick at mail.zill.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 06:40:25PM -0500, Matthew Braun wrote:
> > No, I'm not freaking out expecting I'll be drafted after the election.
> > I'm just curious about the "Skills Draft" that suggests that people
> > with specialized skills (geeks, linguists, and medical personnel) may
> > be eligible for a draft if circumstances warrant. How would this be
> > implemented?
>
> There is ZERO , repeat ZERO, chance of a draft.
>
> ZERO.
>
> Anyone telling you different is engaged (often unwittingly) in
> scaremongering.

He didn't say there would be a draft, he asked about the draft *plan*.
 AFAI have read thus far, the only "draft plan" in place is the
medical personnel draft plan.

There has been talk in congressional committees about IT personnel
draft plans, but it will take legislation by congress to get beyond
the "talk about it" stage.  Which means they have likely done a lot of
the leg work, but aren't ready for the political fallout of actually
making it official.

There are currently $15K bonuses being paid for three MOSs for the
Army--cook, artillery targetter, and another MOS I can't recall at the
moment.

=Nadine=