[geeks] Solaris 10 zones - interesting blog

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 22 11:01:25 CDT 2004

> From: patrick at mail.zill.net (Patrick Giagnocavo)
> Date: 2004/09/22 Wed PM 03:12:04 GMT
> To: geeks at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [geeks] Solaris 10 zones - interesting blog
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/jclingan
>
> This guy is running Solaris 10 on a U10 with 512MB RAM.
>
> He is testing how many zones he can run at once on it.  So far he is
> up to 54 zones, and is adding more (he started IPs at .200 and just
> got to .254, so he needs to mess with his scripts).

That's neat - I wonder if there is a hard limit, becuase I suspect it should be able to handle any number of zones, provided he can rig up sufficient virtual interfaces for them - he'll probably run out of IP address space first... I would think that respinse time would suck, as everything would swap in and out of local memory, but if all the zones are inactive (as it seem they are), the delays caused by the swapping may be unconnected to the number of zones running (they are only swapped in/active when an "echo" request is received over the interface).