[geeks] GMAIL and Macintosh attachments

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Wed Sep 22 09:24:59 CDT 2004

On Sep 22, 2004, at 9:08 AM, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2004, at 9:23 AM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>
>> Hello fellow Mac lovers :-)
>>
>> I needed to have someone send me a program for my Mac that was about
>> 5 meg.
>> Since this would blow out my normal mailbox, I decided to try a gmail
>> account.
>>

> SMTP is not a file transfer protocal.  ;-)

Yes - but on the other hand, hacks on the gmail are kinda neat ...

http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/google-hacks.html
GmailFS - GMail Filesystem
GmailFS provides a mountable Linux filesystem which uses your Gmail
account as its storage medium.

Or this
http://mindtrick.net/archives/2004/08/
gmail_as_an_online_backup_system_gmcp.php
Well, i wrote a small perl utility to download files from your gmail
account which are actually attached to the emails, and upload the
requested file by sending an email to yourself. Ilias small php code
was very helpful. Those who use gmail also as a backup system would
like to give gmcp a try.

~brian