[geeks] GMAIL and Macintosh attachments

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Sep 22 08:23:04 CDT 2004

Hello fellow Mac lovers :-)

I needed to have someone send me a program for my Mac that was about 5 meg.
Since this would blow out my normal mailbox, I decided to try a gmail
account.

He sent me the file from his macintosh using his regular macintosh
mailer. It sent the file as two AppleDouble pieces from one program
called "Installer". GMAIL shows the attachment as 2 seperate files
"Installer" and "%Installer" and only lets me download them seperately.

Being stupid and in a rush, I did a UNIX kind of thing, I downloaded the
orginal mail as a text file. I then tried to import it as an mbox file
into Mac OS X Mail. It would not find it until I replaced the first line
(using vi ) with "From gsm at mendelson.com". Then it found it, imported it
and saved the attachments as one Mac file.

This worked with a 5 meg file, but it's awfuly unewildy. Anyone have a better
way? Is there a hidden GMAIL flag to recombine Macintosh parts? Is there a
utility that will combine AppleDouble pieces after they are decoded into
"file" and "%file".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, C.T.O. GW&T Ltd., Jerusalem Israel
gsm at mendelson.com gsm at gwandt.com
IL Voice: 972-544-608-069  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838