[geeks] Special skills draft?

Matthew Braun geeks at leydenjar.com
Tue Sep 21 18:40:25 CDT 2004

No, I'm not freaking out expecting I'll be drafted after the election.
I'm just curious about the "Skills Draft" that suggests that people
with specialized skills (geeks, linguists, and medical personnel) may
be eligible for a draft if circumstances warrant. How would this be
implemented?

For medical staff, they have to be state-certified, so there's a nice
body of data that already exists on them. But techs or linguists? What,
subpoena the membership rolls of the ACM? Have posts to Slashdot and
then track by IP? I'm just curious of the mechanics of this. It seems
like it would be very hard to do, and then they'd have to prove that
people were in fact in possession of the desired skills.
--
Today, today, each day I have waited for you.
And now do they not say you are strewn with the shells of Ishi river?