[geeks] Domain litterals with evil MS Exchange, how would you do this?

Francois Dion fdion at atriumwindows.com
Tue Sep 21 15:47:30 CDT 2004

I have a proper unix box (sun) with qmail. I have a specific account I
need to forward to a MS Exchange 2003 (w/AD and all) server inside the
network, on a private IP. I just forwarded to user at internal ip. I do
this at home between my main mail server (qmail) and one of my SGI box,
works great. This is proper as far as RFC1123 is concerned (required in
fact). You guessed it, MS Exchange wont do it. It's trying to send that
back out not recognising that this is it's own IP.

What is the best approach? Do some kind of hack to replace the IP with
the domain on the unix box? On the windows box? Another thing I tought
of, was adding an SMTP service in the recipients -> recipients policies
(under ESM), to the default policy to accept the @IPaddress domain but
the guy who manages the box says it will bring down his box if I did that.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Francois