[geeks] Carly Fiorina to enter politics? This nation is doomed...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Sep 14 18:27:26 CDT 2004

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 @ 17:36 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> >I think they did, but M$ marketing took over and the rest is history.
>
> You don't know the half of it.  The NT betas were, aside from their
> enormous system requirements, AMAZING software.

In college we had beta NT releases running.  At that time, you could
get a full dev kit and OS as a student for about $100.  It wasn't
necessarily usable, and I felt like $100 was a bit steep.  We got UNIX,
several flavors, for free.

I lost interest as soon as they integrated the OS and graphics
subsystems.

> >As originally detailed, NT should have been OK.
>
> Hell, 3.x was wonderful.  Everything went to hell in 4.0.

3.x still had graphics integrated, which is where I think it went to
hell.

4.0 go worse, yes, but it was already a loss as far as I was concerned.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I want this Perl software checked for
viruses.  Use Norton Antivirus." -- Charlie Kirkpatrick]