[geeks] Carly Fiorina to enter politics? This nation is doomed...

lefa at ucsc.edu lefa at ucsc.edu
Tue Sep 14 14:06:36 CDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Dan Duncan wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> > That does not mean that there are not parts of other operating systems in
> > NT, for example OS/2 did not have TCP/IP support. M/S lifted the BSD
> > TCP/IP stack for NT, IBM used a different one for their OS/2.
>
> Internally, NT borrowed heavily from VMS.

Dave Cutler was in charge of the project at M$, I believe... and he was
also the lead in VMS development at DEC during the 70's and 80's. Although
I was told that the NT research project in its 1.x and 2.x phases have
very little to do with the 3.x releases, which Gates forced them to have a
Win personality, which the research project did not have at all.

Also the initial release was targeted for the 80860, and then moved over
MIPS. In fact the native plaform of most NT code development wasn't intel
but a MIPS reference design made betwen M$ and MIPS Computer (it turns out
that M$ was in the HW design business for a while). They also had a
shitload of people from CMU that had worked on the Mach stuff, it seemed
that noth NeXT and M$ snatched most of the people in that project.