[geeks] Carly Fiorina to enter politics? This nation is doomed...

lefa at ucsc.edu lefa at ucsc.edu
Tue Sep 14 14:02:33 CDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> > > UNIX is an API, toolset, and a set of assumptions and even a few
> > > codified rules.
> > \begin{nitpicking}
> > That is Unix. UNIX is AT&T SysV. ;-)
> > \end{nitpicking}
>
> And where does one get AT&T SysV?  As one can't I think BSD is the next
> purest thing, and NetBSD strikes me as the purest of the BSDs (unless
> one really wants to go back 4.3 or somesuch).

To be nitpick, BSD's are the purest NON-Unix OS's out there. Since they
were rewriten from scratch to not have Unix code in them. And as far as I
know they can not be called Unix at all. Wasn't there some lawsuit at the
end of the 80's between Unix System Labs and UC?

Also UNIX is also a kernel, right? An API and a toolset alone an OS makes
not (Yoda). Or am I missing something.

I hope this doesn't turn into some disgrunted BSDers thingie against Linux
:)