[geeks] Carly Fiorina to enter politics? This nation is doomed...

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 9 16:03:30 CDT 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:32:42 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 06:32:23PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > Yeah, but as a constrained hardware family (limited
> > variations/permutations, unlike x86 PC hardware), it should be a
> > reasonable stretch - heck, they have "UNIXy" drivers for all the
> > hardware already, so porting should be minimal...
>
> And OpenFirmware is already there on the Apple machines...

Well I'd vote for it, but it's Sun with the casting vote. Mind you as
Apple laptops seem popular at Sun, who knows ?

> > Seriously, stacking OS would not be the goal, even with GHz G5s in
> > the mix...

MOL is supposed to be quite good performance-wise. I guess it wouldn't
be too good at stuff like games though so perhaps SOO (Solaris on OSX
... mythical) would be better.

> > Now, if I could partition the platform to run OS X and
> > Solaris X in their own partitions that would be nice...
>
> Zones get you halfway there, but they only boot the same level of OS
> as the system itself.

As far as I can figure out, zones are an os-virtualisation feature
rather than a machine virtualisation feature. For example, you can use
prstat to monitor processes within a foreign zone. So I don't think
you'll see Linux (or anything else) running in a zone with Solaris
running in the global zone.

Mind you it's still interesting enough that we could well be running the
beta on work's new 6900's.