[geeks] Carly Fiorina to enter politics? This nation is doomed...

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Sep 9 03:27:20 CDT 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:21:09 -0400
patrick at mail.zill.net (Patrick Giagnocavo) wrote:

> BTW HP screwed up on dumping not one but two decent CPU architectures,
> PA-Risc and Alpha.  Now the Itanic is sinking,
Well. Itanic, when the project started, was the designated PA-8900. As I
understand it most of the Itanic ideas and design comes from HP and
Intel contributed the fabing know how.

Keep in mind that even the latest PA-RISC CPU is nothing more then a
cooked up PA-8000. The PA-8000 was the last new PA-RISC disign.
Everything since then is just a slight modification of the old PA-8000
core. The same with MIPS. Nothing really new since R10k.

> and AMD, UltraSPARC, PowerPC will be the winners by default.
IIRC Sun canceled the US V. I asume they will go the AMD64 route sooner
or later. It is simply to expensive to develop a CPU, that can deliver
the same raw performance as an Intel or AMD CPU, for a "small" company
like Sun or even SGI. Intel and AMD can do this. They spend lots of $$$
for a new CPU design, but they sell a _lot_ more CPUs then Sun or SGI.

> Their confusion over what to do with HPUX surely pushed many customers
> to look at competitor's offerings.
Especially as many wanted to by Alphas with Tru64 (IMHO much better /
nicer then HP-sUX) and where talked to by Itanic with HP-sUX.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen