[geeks] Gmail's attraction

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 23:24:54 CDT 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 23:33:44 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix
<shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> I worked for awhile at "Bank of America" (aka Bank of India) and with
> 40K desktop users or more, this kind of thing could cause a lot of
> damage.
>
> I remember getting a bunch of bullcrap and other noise from Hugh McCall
> once, which was probably sent to just about everyone in the company.
>
> It was a Word file with graphics and a few other objects in it, and I
> believe it was at least 500K bytes.
>
> Multiply that by 40K recipients...
>
> I mean, why the hell didn't they put it up on an internal web server?
>
> Even if a top manager only emailed Norfolk, we are talking about over
> 3500 users.
>
> % echo "(3500*500)/1024/1024" | bc -l
> 1.66893005371093750000
>
> If I did that right, we are talking about 1.7 gigabytes of storage
> to send that email to just the workers in *ONE BUILDING* at Bank of
> America.

Problem is suits don't understand the impact of what they are
doing, 'cause a) they don't understand the mail system (e.g. each
person gets a copy); b) they couldn't do that kind of math even if
they did.

"Any technology, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from
magic."  To suits, the bits going over the wire, hell, even the damned
email client (the suits have their admins send their email) is magic.

=Nadine=