[geeks] HELP! I've wedged my wife's iBook performing OS X 10.3.5

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 31 23:07:44 CST 2004

> From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
> Date: 2004/11/01 Mon AM 03:02:41 GMT
> To: <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: [geeks] HELP! I've wedged my wife's iBook performing OS X 10.3.5
>  software update...
>
> Hello all,
>
> I was updating my wife's iBook performing an OS X Software Update (10.3.5)
earlier today.

> I tried booting with the OS X install CD from my mother in laws new iBook
(10.3.5), but no joy (it wouldn't let me install the bundled software).

> The scenario is this:
>
> Manually run Software Update, choose to install 10.3.5 update
>
> Install runs fine, but hangs/gets stuck after installing 10.3.5 update (it
was optimizing, IIRC) after nearly 30 minutes of waiting (no movement on
progress bar), I power-cycled the laptop, assuming the OS would see the
unfinished install and continue - of course, it did not. :^(

> Now, when I power up the laptop, all seems fine, but instead of the graphic
login I expect, I get a "Darwin/BSD" login prompt, and I have tried all the
logical guesses, but can't log in...

Install/Archive saved my bacon...

But now Safari won't accept keyboard input, but that can be figured out at a
later date - Internet Explorer works for now (that is good enough for tonight
;^)