[geeks] AMD64 compiler flags

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Thu Oct 28 16:18:49 CDT 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:27:15 -0500 (CDT)
  "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> Not unless they have much improved.
>>
>> The last time I tried Gentoo they were optimizing even
>>when it actually
>> hurt performance and made code unreliable.
>>
>> Maybe I'll have another look.
>
> /me points at his .signature :)
>
> --
> Jonathan Patschke ) "I've built my whole system with
>[-fomit-frame-pointer]
> Elgin, TX        (   cause it was recomended...as I
>don't care if a program
> USA               )  crashes, not interested in finding
>out why."

Well, ommitting the frame pointer at least in x86 does
improve performance a tiny bit due to the extra register
that one gains. However it also means bye bye to a lot of
deubug info... so it depends on what the user wants :)

I actually sort of like Gentoo... but it is probably due
to the geek overhead associated with it, and the fact that
portage keeps my old freeBSD ways happy :).