[geeks] just to stir things up, a few predictions

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 26 18:22:45 CDT 2004

> From: "Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez" <lefa at ucsc.edu>
> Date: 2004/10/26 Tue AM 08:06:30 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] just to stir things up, a few predictions

> You guys crack me up sometimes!
>
> As the resident liberal pinko commie, I must ask. What
> would it take for the US to implement an actual
> representative system.

<snip>

> OK, not meant as some sort of flame fuel, just my
> opinion... even if it is a pinko commie liberal one at
> that... I think I am still entitled to it :) At least for
> the time being.

Francisco - I think the first big step would be to lobby each state to "split" their electoral votes - some states do this now (NE and Maine, IIRC - see http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/special/president/electoral.college/index.html)...

It would be a small effort for each state to adopt this,a nd wouldn't require a "national" change.

Of course, what would a third-party candidate do with 2 or 3 electoral votes? I can imagine parties running extreme counter candidates (i.e. the republicans covertly run a rabid anti-republican candidate in addition to "their guy") to siphon-off electoral votes from the democratic party...

That would be an interesting election... ;^)