[geeks] SA Documentation creation/mgmt

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 22:57:20 CDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:22:06 -0400, Bryan Fullerton <fehwalker at gmail.com> wrote:
> The consensus at $DAYBOB seems to be that the following places are
> good for docs, depending what they are.
>
> - a wiki for free form documentation, we use MoinMoin
> (http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/)

I looked at this when I was reviewing wiki/blog crosses, but didn't
want to have to go down the full-blown Apache/MySQL/PHP route.  I
tried snip-snap and antville, which are self-contained java apps.
Snip-snap looks cool, but the overhead for taxonomy was a little over
the top.
Antville didn't seem to lend any structure at all, but I didn't get
that far into it before having to concentrate on other stuff.

> - CVS directly for scripts and config files, with a web and/or Windows
> front-end if required
> - Maven (docs built from CVS) for more structured documentation that
> managers see

Hmm...I will investigate Maven.  I lean towards rcs; haven't used cvs,
really.  Suggestions for a crash intro?

> The latter we use mainly because our developers are mainly coding in
> Java, so it works for us to tie documentation for our projects in with
> theirs.

Fortunately, I don't have to do anything other than verbally abuse the
developers and then deploy their crappy code.  :-/  Of course, the
developers don't work for us--they are employed by the government
agencies that share our hosting environment.

=Nadine=