[geeks] SA Documentation creation/mgmt

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 19:52:03 CDT 2004

OK, hoping some of you out there who have worked in multi-admin shops
can make some recommendations.

We need to do some serious documentation for our stuff (everything
from confs to Weblogic configs, etc.).  I want to avoid the
Windoze-centric attitude that currently exists of putting everything
into spreadsheets, word docs, yadayada, and the concomitant urge of
everyone to squirrel away these files with everyone having their own
mods to them that they never bother to share with the rest of the
team.

Ideally, I'd like an app that I could throw onto one of our central
"admin" type servers so we could just fire up a web browser over the
VPN and use that to mod/view the docs.

I looked at a couple of Weblog/Wikipedia crosses, but the danged
taxonomy business just seemed way too overloaded for 30-some servers.

Am I nuts for thinking there's something out there like this, or off
my rocker for thinking I'll ever get admins to document stuff?

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise, horror stories, etc.

=Nadine=