[geeks] just to stir things up, a few predictions

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Oct 24 02:57:58 CDT 2004

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 @ 22:04 -0500, Eric Dittman said:

> > > I think you've got that backwards, since VMS is far superior to UNIX.  :-)
> >
> > Yep, which is why Windows, based on VMS, is so incredibly good...
>
> I see you are confused.  Windows is not based on VMS.  Dave Cutler left
> DEC and went to Microsoft and designed NT and reused some of his ideas,
> but that's about it.

I know... I figured one unfounded stab deserved another... :)

> > Seriously, VMS has some areas which are better, but a ton which are
> > definitely not better.
>
> VMS has a ton of areas that are definitely better.

...and tons that aren't.

> > Then on top of that, VMS had a parent which tried to kill it via various
> > methods for over ten years.
>
> Yes, Digital tried to kill it because GQ Palmer was trying to turn the
> company into a PC-only company.  Compaq did a lot of work on keeping
> it going, as is HP.

>From my point of view, witholding any decent Alpha hardware for years
was hurting VMS too, and I see Compaq and HP as being part of that.

I mean... the new Alpha was ready... why hold it back?

I think we know why HP did it...

> > VMS, now all but dead, is still being stabbed continously by its
> > adoptive parents.
>
> You are wrong here.  HP is spending a lot of money on migrating VMS to
> Itanium and is making a lot of money selling VMS.  There are companies
> that are migrating to VMS (from Window and/or UNIX).

Then why are the VMS shops complaining so much?

Or is it just left over venom and worry from the past?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There is no such thing as security.  Life
is either bold adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"]