[geeks] just to stir things up, a few predictions

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Oct 24 02:42:02 CDT 2004

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 @ 14:23 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> >>I think you've got that backwards, since VMS is far superior to UNIX.  :-)
> >
> >Yep, which is why Windows, based on VMS, is so incredibly good...
>
> Windows is not based on VMS.  Windows is based on OS/2.

OS/2 was a compatibility layer.

The guys who created NT have a website (well, some of them) and they say
the base idea was a microkernel on RISC, with ideas from VMS and others
added to create a new small system OS.

> >VMS, now all but dead, is still being stabbed continously by its
> >adoptive parents.
>
> Which is exactly why HP spent a metric assload of money designing
> Itanium2 servers and porting VMS to them, right?

Did they?

Well, that's good news.

However, that doesn't change the fact that VMS users have been feeling
abandoned for years.

A lot of them are still complaining, which is why I was viewing it as
dying.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There is no such thing as security.  Life
is either bold adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"]