[geeks] just to stir things up, a few predictions

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Sat Oct 23 22:30:31 CDT 2004

On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 10:04:36PM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:
> I see you are confused.  Windows is not based on VMS.  Dave Cutler left
> DEC and went to Microsoft and designed NT and reused some of his ideas,
> but that's about it.

My take: Microsoft was happy to let the confusion over the internals
be there, because VMS' reputation for solidity would thus rub off on
NT.

> VMS has a ton of areas that are definitely better.

Until it ships on a major architecture, hardly anyone will know.

Maybe the Itanium port will lead to an AMD64 port.

> Yes, Digital tried to kill it because GQ Palmer was trying to turn the company
> into a PC-only company.  Compaq did a lot of work on keeping it going, as is
> HP.

Palmer::Digital as Belluzzo::HP

> You are wrong here.  HP is spending a lot of money on migrating VMS to Itanium
> and is making a lot of money selling VMS.  There are companies that are migrating
> to VMS (from Window and/or UNIX).

HP is not getting that message out; with their Tru64 and HPUX
abandonment, HP is basically saying that x86 with Linux or Windows is
the future.

--Patrick