[geeks] just to stir things up, a few predictions

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Sat Oct 23 21:41:13 CDT 2004

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 21:30:10 -0400
  Dave Fischer <dave at cca.org> wrote:

> Everything I've seen about the history of the i860
>suggests
> that the original design was as a high-end embedded math
> processor, and only when they started selling did
>someone in
> marketing decide to push it as a general purpose
>processor.

Hum, interesting. As far as every manual and literature, I
have seen on the architecture, seem to indicate IMHO that
it was supposed to be a pretty powerful general purpose
scalar machine. In fact the addition of a 3D unit was
because Intel envisioned the chip as a general purpose
desktop chip, so they wanted to integrate as many
functions as they could. Why? Because the 860 and 486
shared the same fab process (which is what intel exceeds
at) and they had a budget of over 1M transistors, since
they did not have the overhead of the x86 control logic
they could add a more refined FPU and GFX unit. No one was
offering a chip with so many transistors at the time. I
believe it was also one of the first chips to have
significant amount of L1 cache on die.

Since if far more programmable than a DSP and more complex
than the 960, I dunno if I think the 860 was intended as
an embedded part from the get go. Although intel did not
have any DSP offering, so maybe they were trying to kill 2
bids with one shot.

The only machines with the 860 as a general purpose
processor I have seen were some weird systems from OKI,
stardent, alliant and the paragon from intel. The rest I
have seen as part of either a vector unit, or gfx
accelerator (Reality Engine, DEC stuff, NeXTDimension,
etc).

> I think Motorola expected Sun to jump on when they
>started
> the 88000, but it took so long to finish, Sun was
>already
> shipping SPARCs by the time it was ready.

Well, I read articles from the mid 80s in which sun
considered the SUN3 as a stopgap before they introduced
their SUN4 which was supposed to be their real interest,
with the SPARC design from the get go. AFAIK Joy was
somewhat involved in bringing a bunch of people from the
RISC group at Cal over to SUN to develop SPARC and that
was early on the company's history. So I do not know if
they ever considered the 88K. Although I could be wrong,
so if you know something in that respect that'd be cool to
know.

Only DG, Philips in Europe, and Omron in Japan released
88K systems. Most of the 68K vendors, and they seem to
have been legion in the 80s, went somewhere else. So that
was kind of a big foobar on Motorola's part.

I believe NeXT had a 88K NeXTStation prototype. I saw a
couple of pictures of it, and it looked remarkably like a
PlayStation2 :).

> Yeah - it's an interested and famous dead architecture.
> expect i432, Symbolics, PDP10, & Multiflow threads pop
>up now
> and then as well..

I tend to enjoy that much more than all the politics that
seem to pop up in this list every now and then to tell you
the truth.