[geeks] just to stir things up, a few predictions

Dave Fischer dave at cca.org
Sat Oct 23 18:04:28 CDT 2004

lefa at ucsc.edu writes:

>More trivia, NT is called that because the original target
>for the research project was the N-Ten processor (aka the
>80860). When it was clear that processor sucked big donkey
>balls and the x86 was thought to be a dead end (late 80's

i860 was great at what it was originally designed for -
a dedicated math processor for graphics cards and such.
(Painfully, certainly, but still great.)

>everyone was talking about RISC)... M$ and MIPS Computer
>developed together a reference platform for NT and named
>it the Magnum. In fact all the earlier development of NT
>was done on MIPS machines, and it seems that M$ had a
>large say on the design of the MIPS box. Which I think
>later was used as the reference platform for the ACE
>project. Who remembers those?

I get confused between ACE & CHRP.

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
------ When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a snail. ------