[geeks] just to stir things up, a few predictions

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 20 11:22:01 CDT 2004

> From: Brian Dunbar <brian.dunbar at plexus.com>
> Date: 2004/10/19 Tue PM 09:26:34 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] just to stir things up, a few predictions
>
> On Oct 19, 2004, at 4:09 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> > Sad state of the legal system.  Your son okay now?
>
> Agreed.  It's been seven years - the only outward sign you can tell is
> that the messed-up leg is just a wee bit shorter than the non-messed up
> leg and the gap has been getting shorter.  He's fine.  I wish
> (sometimes) that falling HAD left him with a hangup about heights.
> This summer he got the bright idea that scaling to the -very- top of
> our large maple tree was a fine idea.  Parents will know the
> heart-in-mouth feeling of seeing your next-to-yougest far, far from the
> ground, the topmost bit of the tree bending under his weight ...

Sounds like your son may have what My son has - perthes legg syndrome (from memory) - basicly, one leg grows/develops at a "retarded pace", with the growth plates in one leg developing at a slower pace. Over time, it seems to balance out, and provides no long-lasting impact to the subject. In some extreme cases, the difference can be profound (one leg inches shorter than the other).

We found out our son had this condition when he fell off a piece of playground equipment. Our Othopedist has been monitoring the condition,and it is improving over time. Doctors have no way of knowing how common this is, as most times the outward manifestation (shorter leg) is so slight, and is corrected over time, that most people afflicted with this are never diagnosed.

Just an FYI...