[geeks] Re: [rescue] Thoughts on mailing list advertising?

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Thu Oct 14 08:25:58 CDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 01:22:03PM -0500, doctor obnox son of a bitch wrote:

>  Any mail admins on th' list that are using greylisting?

Yup.  Been running it since June, seen a HUGE drop in SPAM and virus
email.  I only run it for BL.ORG, $WORK won't do it for political
reasons, and I'm not in charge of email at this gig anyways.  But
for my small (<20 user) bl.org user-base, I use milter-greylisting,
spamassassin, and milter-clamav.

You can see the difference when you look at the graphs:

http://www.bl.org/~jpk/spam/index.php?view=monthly

One nice thing about the greylisting implementation is that if you've
got a valid SPF record for your domain, you pass through the greylisting
and there is no delay.  Bill's doing this for sunhelp, so there's no
delay in his listmail.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org