[geeks] Ultra-1/170e replacement

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 13 21:50:00 CDT 2004

> From: Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc at linuxweasel.com>
> Date: 2004/10/14 Thu AM 02:23:06 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: Re: [geeks] Ultra-1/170e replacement

> Meh, I'm rather mixed on U5s, though I've not owned one, just used them
> a bit.  The IDE sucks ass, but I suppose for a webserver that just hosts
> family photo albums, it's not a big deal (certainly not as big a deal as
> CPU and RAM).  I assume that they will happily address a 120GB drive?

Yes - 120 Gig is fine, there is a hard limit just above 120GB due to hardware limitations... You can only access the first 128-133GB of the HD. BTW, installing two 120 Gig HDs is fine.

The only U5s I've touched had CPUs with 2 Meg caches and atleast 512 Meg RAM, so performace was quite acceptable ;^)