[geeks] Ultra-1/170e replacement

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Wed Oct 13 12:13:29 CDT 2004

On Oct 13, 2004, at 10:47, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>> Are the drivers up to the performance of the interface? (I'm sure
>> they'd be better than the built-in IDE, but how much better?)
>
> I know that some people on the list are doing it.  I haven't done any
> USB storage past a flash drive on my U30 yet, so I can't really answer.

USB2 or Firewire are quite usable on a daily basis.  My media server is
a G4/700, and I run music, movies, and TV (recorded from EyeTV) off of
Firewire drives, and use a Firewire DVD burner on the same machine.
It's all quite fast enough.

USB1, though, is mainly useful for archival devices. Anything that
keeps reading/writing will be painfully slow for a user.

---sambo