[geeks] Ultra-1/170e replacement

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Oct 13 11:07:40 CDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 11:48:13AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Does an Ultra 5 have either of those interfaces?

I believe it is easy and cheap to add such an interface to a U5.  At
least, it was easy and cheap to add a USB2.0 interface to my U30.

> In any case, getting decent enclosures seems expensive, and so far I've
> been disappointed with the performance of those setups.

Really?  I've heard a few people claim that Firewire drives were often
faster than PATA drives.  I think maybe even Dave McGuire was telling me
that.

To me USB2.0 is pretty spanking new.  I have a card, but only USB1.1
devices.  However, the card is a dual channel card, so I can add 2.0
devices without slowing everything down.

However, as I have an Acard sitting unused, the first IDE device I try
to add to my U30 is likely to be added via that adapter rather than
futzing about with USB2.0 or firewire.

I don't know what constitutes decent enclosures.  I've seen some cheap
ones, and some expensive ones, but other than presumed easy of
installation and PSU quality, I have no clue what differences there
might be.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net