[geeks] Ultra-1/170e replacement

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Tue Oct 12 08:51:06 CDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 01:45:12PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > I forget if I've asked this recently here, but anybody have suggestions
> > on an upgrade machine for an Ultra-1E-170?  Ideally I'd go to something
> > just as quiet,
>

> Well, I'd suggest an Ultra 30 or 60, with 300 MHz (or better) CPUs -
they are quiet, quick, and make great desktops, esp. with two high-end
framebuffers ;^) Unfortunately, IDE drives are not supported locally,

Is there an architectural reason or other reason that an Ultra 2 or 5
with the same CPUs would be less desireable?  The U60 is rather large.
Supposedly the 360Mhz CPU with 4MB cache is quite quick, though.

--Patrick