[geeks] Solaris USB driver

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Oct 11 22:19:32 CDT 2004

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 07:46:40PM +0000, wa2egp at att.net wrote:
> > Whelp, a memory stick is going to be the first or second thing I attempt
> > to use (also have a USB handspring unit), so I'll post my results.
>
> And I'll test it as the "dumb-ass" user ;->

I now have my USB flash keychain working.  Wish I could say the same for
the Handspring Visor.

Here is what I did.  I'm working on an Ultra 30 with Solaris 9 08/03
installed.

First, install the 9_Recommended patch cluster.  Grab a new download of
it first to be on the safe side (especially if you haven't downloaded it
since last year, like myself).  Reboot with -r to be on the safe side.
At this point, you should be able to see the USB card, and what is
connected to it via prtconf.  However, if you've connected a USB flash
device, you will most likely see that no driver is attached to it.

Second, install these patches: 112954-09 114128-02 117418-01 115553-13
The last one is the important one, the first three are requirements that
need to be installed first.  Reboot with -r.

Now, at this point your usb flash device should work.  Insert it, and
check prtconf.  I see something like this:
        usb, instance #0
            storage, instance #1
                disk, instance #16

Now, if vold is working correctly, the drive should automount somewhere
under /rmdisk.  For me it is /rmdisk/rmdisk0.  If this doesn't work
automagically (and I see a lot of reports that it doesn't), you will
need to mount manually, using a command like:
mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c3t0d0s2:c /mnt
Except, you need to figure out what the actual device is.  I suspect for
me it is really /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s2:c, though I'm not certain, since vold
is working.

Now, I just need to figure out what it will take to make the handspring
visor to work.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net