[geeks] Thoughts on mailing list advertising

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 11 21:42:28 CDT 2004

> From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> Date: 2004/10/11 Mon PM 03:40:09 GMT
> To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>
> What are you guys' thoughts on small advertisements (2-3 lines) in the
> message footer at the end of each mail going through the lists I host
> (sunhelp/rescue/geeks)?
>
> I'm being relocated to Houston for work, and need to find some way to raise
> enough money for a decent 1U x86 server so that I can move all of the
> SunHELP stuff to a provider in Houston eventually.

Bill, sounds fine to me, but would it really generate sufficient advertising fees to pay for a server? (BTW, the latest Linux Journal had several ads for sub-$1K 1U x86 boxes, one as low as  $500, IIRC - just a pointer/heads-up on hardware sources...

I'd toss you a low-end server, but all mine are desktop/minitowers (well over 1U). I have an AXe MB sitting idle (300 MHz, 256K cache), that can go in a 1U case - it has the goofy PCI-bracket (if you have the case ;^)...