[geeks] Need expert opinion

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Oct 5 13:37:36 CDT 2004

" From: velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
"
" On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 12:29:20 -0400 (EDT), Sandwich Maker
" <adh at an.bradford.ma.us> wrote:
" > " From: velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
" > "
" > " Hmmm...this is Solaris.  I was speculating on the cause of a
" > " huge decrease in traffic (24K hits/day to 4K hits/day across 4
" > " servers), but neither of those results would explain it.  If the
" > " httpd died, a) the load balancers would ship it to the other
" > " servers, and b) our alarm would go off.  Even if "b" failed, "a"
" > " would still happen.
" >
" > the way i'd write it, i'd set the sighandler to drop further hups
" > while processing a hup, then reset it to catch them when finished.
" > that wouldn't necessarily solve your double-hup problem though.  you
" > might end up rolling the logs -twice-, in quick succession.  a 'guard
" > zone' of even a second would go a long way to fixing it.
"
" While I understand what you are suggesting at a high level,
" that's a bit beyond me.  Likely I will just stagger the cron
" entries by one minute.  That much variance at low usage
" hours should not cause a significant statistical impact.

agreed.  i knew my comment wasn't necessarily practical.

" We're using Apache, so I should look into what it's response
" to receiving two HUPs at the same time would be.  In my
" copious spare time, as they say.

a valuable test, i'd say.