[geeks] Advice for server room cooling/fire control

Nathan Raymond nate at portents.com
Tue Oct 5 13:40:32 CDT 2004

Hi,

I was wondering if the collective intelligence and experience of this list
can help me out or point me in the right direction.  I'm the admin at a
company that has a server room/storage room where everything environmental
is an afterthought.  The building is an old mill building, 20ft ceilings.
The climate control is a ceiling mounted cooling/heating unit outside the
server room with the thermostat in the CEO's office and vents that go to
several places besides the server room, which seems to get very little of
what's left over of the cooling.  Cooling is also on a timer to save
energy, so during summer nights the server room simply cooks.  Fire
control is a ceiling mounted sprinkler system that's the same as what rus
through the rest of the office.

All far from ideal.  I need to come up with financial justificatoins for
why thigns should change - where can I go for costs (costs of what would
happen if we don't change the setup, costs of what would happen if we do
make changes and what would be saved in the case of disaster)?  I don't
really know where to start with this.

Thanks for any pointers,
Nathan