[geeks] Woohoo! SpaceShipOne does it!

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Tue Oct 5 13:13:09 CDT 2004

On Oct 5, 2004, at 11:20 AM, james wrote:

>>> Apparently, Virgin has licensed the technology, they want to offer
>>> "space travel"...
>
> I assume that this altitude is not beyond the reach of gravity? If the
> ship's systems fail will they return to earth?

Depends on how they fail.  A very bad failure and you'll come back ...
in small pieces.  If the rocket simply cuts out or stops before the
burn is complete they still go 'up' just not as far.  It's a 'mere'
sub-orbital hop - SS1 goes UP and comes BACK like a mortar shell.

> And, is this altitude high enough to be usefull for placing small
> satellites in orbit?

Nope - not going fast enough.  At that attitude you could release a
rocket and _it_ could obtain orbit.  The ASAT weapons the Air Force had
(or still have?) were lofted that way from an F-15.

~brian