[geeks] Need expert opinion

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 12:53:17 CDT 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 12:29:20 -0400 (EDT), Sandwich Maker
<adh at an.bradford.ma.us> wrote:
> " From: velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
> "
> " Hmmm...this is Solaris.  I was speculating on the cause of a
> " huge decrease in traffic (24K hits/day to 4K hits/day across 4
> " servers), but neither of those results would explain it.  If the
> " httpd died, a) the load balancers would ship it to the other
> " servers, and b) our alarm would go off.  Even if "b" failed, "a"
> " would still happen.
>
> the way i'd write it, i'd set the sighandler to drop further hups
> while processing a hup, then reset it to catch them when finished.
> that wouldn't necessarily solve your double-hup problem though.  you
> might end up rolling the logs -twice-, in quick succession.  a 'guard
> zone' of even a second would go a long way to fixing it.

While I understand what you are suggesting at a high level,
that's a bit beyond me.  Likely I will just stagger the cron
entries by one minute.  That much variance at low usage
hours should not cause a significant statistical impact.

We're using Apache, so I should look into what it's response
to receiving two HUPs at the same time would be.  In my
copious spare time, as they say.

> " [0] Generally, I don't mind dealing with clients--it can be a
> " refreshing reminder that you are doing something that helps
> " someone on the other end--but these guys...oooo, boy.
>
> clients -are- the ultimate purpose of our professional lives...

Some folks seem to forget that.

=Nadine=